Feb 5, 2009

I LOVE MY ALEX!

Every three months or so the volunteers plan a field trip for the kids at San vincent de Paul, one of the orphanages we work at. The kids rarely get to venture far from the orphanage and spend most of the days inside. Last friday we planned to take the kids swimming and everyone was assigned to a kid to take and watch. I love all the kids but I REALLY wanted to take my little Alex so I was really good all week in hopes that they would let me take him:) We woke up friday morning and got in a bus to go pick up the kids. When we walked in the door they all ran over with huge smiles and we took our kids (yes I got Alex) and got on the bus. I snuck me and alex some fruit roll ups in my back pack and we had fun eating them and he cried when they were gone as did IAt the pool Alex could not get enough of the water. All the other kids were crying and screaming and Alex would not stop splashing and laughing. I had ridiculous amounts of fun with him and he kept me smiling and laughing. On the way home Alex fell asleep in my arms and I had so many overwhelming thoughts running through my head that made me choke up. I realized that the one on one time that I got to spend with Alex that day he doesn't get on a daily basis as most kids his age do. I don't know what its like to have kids but I feel like Alex is mine. I want him to live the life that every child deserves and its hard knowing that chances are he wont. The orphanage continues to take good care for children bathing, feeding, and dressing them but they are struggling to meet the individual needs of each child and they cant provide everything that Alex and the other kids need. Most of the Children wont get adopted and will grow up not knowing what its like to have a mom who sings them to sleep or a dad that teaches them to ride a bike. These kids mean the world to me and I pray that the volunteers who come after me will also be able to love and care for them.

If anyone knows a way I can sneak a child over the border, please inform me:) hopefully my parents dont mind another grandchild.

5 comments:

Julie said...

My heart is breaking! I am so glad that you are there being a "mom" to these children. The other volunteers will love them, but it is really sad that they will never grow up like you or I did. I am sorry that you are going to be saying goodbye soon. I know it will be sooooo hard for you to come home. I know your family if super excited to have you back, but the impact you are making now is HUGE. Thank you for touching my heart today. And helping me realize how truly truly blessed we are. And how we can always being doing more for someone else! Love you!

Katherine said...

OH my Heather. You are so amazing. Thank you for loving those kids. I'm so sad that you have to leave you kids. As a mother I completly understand. I know you did make a difference in those kids lives. Can't wait to see you again!

kylee said...

couldn't ask for a more inspirational best friend.
love you heather!
-ky

Goodrich said...

well all i can say is that i know those kidswill always remember you and what you did for them...you and all the other volunteers are absolutly AMAZING!!!

Julie said...

This is from Evan and I have a blog to but, Did you know that I wnat to go to equador on my mission soo bad Alex sounds like a cute kid.

From evan =)

You can also find out about me by going to www.Evansboardingworld.blogspot.org